Adding Pages to Your Site
After you create a Web site in Orchard, you will need to add to pages for your content. This topic shows how to create a new web page, add content using Orchard's rich-text editor, and publish the page to your web site.
Creating a New Page
In the Admin Panel under Content, click Create Page. The Create Page settings are displayed, as shown in the following image.
Using the New Page menu entry, you can do the following:
- Give your new page a title.
- Add a search-engine-friendly address for your page (permalink)
- Set the new page as the home page for the web site.
- Add content using the rich-text editor.
- Add content tags.
- Indicate whether to show the page on the main menu.
- Allow comments from users to be posted to the page.
- Assign an owner for the page.
- Save and publish the page to the site.
A permalink is a URL that points to this page indefinitely and is less susceptible to "link rot" (links that become unavailable). A suggested permalink based on the page title is automatically provided when you enter the text box. You can accept the one provided or change it as needed.
A content tag assigns a content category to this page. For example, a page about famous fiction authors might have the following tags: authors, fiction, and books. After the page is published, a list of tags assigned to the page is displayed below the body of the content. By clicking on a tag, the user can find all of the pages on your web site that have the same tag assigned.
Show on Main Menu
If you want a link to this page to appear on the main menu, select the Show on main menu check box. When this option is selected, the Menu text box will be displayed and you can enter the text to display on the main menu.
Comments are not enabled by default on pages. To enable them, go to
Content -> Content Typesand edit the
Pagecontent type, then add the
To enable users to post comments on the page, select the Allow new comments check box. A form will be added to the bottom of the page for user comments. The following image shows the form that is added to the published page.
Using the Rich-text Editor
The Orchard text editor enables you to add content to your web page while taking advantage of its powerful rich-text features. The following image shows the editor's tool bar with each button labeled. The label shown here is consistent with the tooltip that appears when you hover over the button.
Some of the less commonly available editing features include the following:
- Add Media lets you upload new media files, such as images, sound files, and video files.
- Insert/Edit Image lets add an image to the page or resize a selected image.
- Insert/Edit Link button lets to insert a hyperlink in the page.
- Edit HTML Source displays the underlying HTML text and lets you edit it directly.
- Toggle Fullscreen Mode expands the editor to cover your entire screen or returns it to its normal size.
Saving and Publishing a Page
The controls along the bottom of the page enable you to save a draft of your new page, publish the page to your web site immediately, or schedule the page to be published at a specified date and time.